A Bunch of Stuff....

Tom Sweetnam savamutt@hotmail.com
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 02:52:05 +0000

Owen Byrne wrote:

"You should try reading this piece by Orwell - I am sure he would suggest
the same thing after hearing "Homage to Catalonia" being used to attack the
'left'."

Communists aren't "the left" Owen. Communists are totalitarians.  There is
no "left" or "right" in the dystopias ruled by communism. There are only
Borg. That's the whole point of Animal Farm and 1984, especially the latter.
But you say I should read George Orwell? I do, and I have, at great length.
Since we're giving each other advise on reading George Orwell, I might
recommend his biography, Bernard Crick's magnum opus. You may even learn a
thing or two about Orwell's political metamorphosis in Catalonia.

BTW I lived in Canada for a year in the late 80's, in Vancouver, right on
the beach in Kitsilano. I helped set up an advertising agency there. I love
Canada, and now that I'm a full-time motorhome vagabond, I go there at least
every couple of years, my most recent visit a 2000-mile, three month sojourn
through Alberta remote in 1999. I intend to spend another three months in
the remote reaches of BC this summer, maybe using Prince Rupert for a base
of operations, then I can ply the Inside Passage and the islands for awhile.
I saw about a thousand killer whales last time I was there. Best oysters in
the world too. What a beautiful place.

One thing that drove me crazy about Canadians, at least for the first few
months I lived in Vancouver, was their incessant, niggling, sniveling
whining, yipping, yapping, anti-Americanism, especially that of the British
expatriate staff at the Vancouver Sun. What a bunch of nits those yahoos
were. I took up reading the Province shortly after my arrival because it's
really difficult to disparage the editorial direction of a newspaper that
features a huge set of hooters on page 2 every morning. It may not be
Pulitzer material, but by God it's honest.

Anyway, all that carping pissed me off until I learned to take it at face
value, beginning to understand as I did, that such bitching is really
deflection, a manifestation of hoserland's two most distinguishing
personality traits: self-effacement and a national inferiority complex. In
that regard Owen, you're a great ambassador, one who in my humble opinion
deserves a Governor General's award as the finest example of incessant,
niggling, sniveling, yipping, yapping, anti-American whining I've ever
encountered anywhere.