Computer Science Education

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 01:01:15 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Russell Turpin wrote:

--]John Hall:
--]>1. Is anyone doing old fashioned Data Flow diagrams anymore?
--]
--]I vote for teaching this.

Might I sugest the Nassi Schniderman Diagraming method. I picked this up
while hanging with my dad as got his BS via night school at Barauch. I
was in 10th grade at the time and what I learnt in those few
computer classes I  attended were worth more than the  2 semesters I
actualy  put in on my own.

(sidebar::  I seem to pick up more knowing by just hanging  around than
actualy going to offical  class. Cost saving and I got to play with  some
cool gear  while everyone else wasin class. The 45 years or so my buds
were going  thru NJIT in the 80's were a fertile time for me. I even had
an EIES  account to learn on.)

NS taught me to make messy flows into blocks of procedures, something I
latter learnt to call Objects.

Give it a google and see if it strikes your fancy, some of your students
just might find it worthwhile.

-tomwsmf