What is death?

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:09:34 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Russell Turpin wrote:

> The hardest part isn't the science, but how to
> deal with death emotionally and in the
> stories of our own lives, how to cope with
> loved ones dying, how to make plans given one's
> own limited life expectancy, and how to think
> about politics involving death, such as
> waging war. A lot of people, faced with such

Rather think about life extension politics. We should have started doing
something about death several decades ago. It's way overdue.

I suspect the real reason is that no one is really interested in
longevity, despite all the bitching and moaning.

> issues, will turn to fantasy, either religious
> or futuristic. Biology is not easy, and
> nanotechnology will progress in fits and starts
> like every other technology. We are still

I notice you gloss over cryopreservation here.

> centuries away from *significantly* extending
> maximum human lifespan. Given past discussions,

Centuries? Significant extension is already a reality. It's called calorie
restriction (CR), and it actually works. We're very close to a medicament
mimicking CRs effects.

But, why wait? Reducing your adipose tissue is the best thing you could do
for your wellbeing and your longevity at high QoL.

> I suspect more FoRKers need to be more concerned
> about getting their obesity under control, and
> living to a normal old age still ambulatory and
> in possession of their limbs and wits, than
> about the possibility that nanotech will keep
> them alive forever. The bad news is we are
> still decades away from a pill that cures
> obesity.

Why do you need a pill? Why not simply change your diet?