[IP] three on SILICON VALLEY FEARS TOXIN IS FAR WORSE THANFIRST BELIEVED (fwd)

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 12:11:08 +0100 (CET)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:28:47 -0500
From: Dave Farber <dave@farber.net>
To: ip <ip@v2.listbox.com>
Subject: [IP] three on  SILICON VALLEY FEARS TOXIN IS FAR WORSE THANFIRST
    BELIEVED

------ Forwarded Message
From: David Akin <david@davidakin.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:25:42 -0500
To: dave@farber.net
Subject: RE: [IP] SILICON VALLEY FEARS TOXIN IS FAR WORSE THANFIRST BELIEVED

And we had this story, on the same theme, in our paper Monday:

Computer chip production raises environmental questions

The production of computer chips -- the thumbnail-sized bits of silicon
at the heart of any information-age appliance -- is a massively wasteful
process and one that may be dumping an unknown level of toxic chemicals
back into the environment, a new study says.

The study, led by Eric Williams of the United Nations University in
Japan, says the production of a garden-variety computer chip known as
DRAM consumed 800 kilograms of fossil fuel and chemicals for every
kilogram of DRAM chips made -- a ratio of one unit of chips for 800
units of input.

By comparison, it takes about two tonnes of fossil fuels to make a car
that weighs a tonne, a ratio of 1:2.

Moreover, almost none of the chemicals used to produce computer chips
end up in the final product, Mr. Williams said, which means most of that
material must be discarded or reused . . .

[Full story at: http://tinyurl.com/50h0]

David Akin
CTV News
The Globe and Mail