[IP] three on SILICON VALLEY FEARS TOXIN IS FAR WORSE THANFIRSTBELIEVED (fwd)

Wed, 29 Jan 2003 06:11:11 -0800

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> The study, led by Eric Williams of the United Nations University in
> Japan, says the production of a garden-variety computer chip known as
> DRAM consumed 800 kilograms of fossil fuel and chemicals for every
> kilogram of DRAM chips made -- a ratio of one unit of chips for 800
> units of input.

The question is, how much is reused?  Old wives already knew
gallium arsenide could kill you.  I guess the real question
is, worse than who feared?  Chipmakers already know exactly
how much.

> By comparison, it takes about two tonnes of fossil fuels to make a car
> that weighs a tonne, a ratio of 1:2.

This reminds me of the spam that every single
relative and friend has sent me once or twice
in their lifetime over email about, if Microsoft built cars.

Greg