education correlation

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:57:49 -0800

> What I found odd is that the list of questions is half prenatal:
Why is that odd? Is prenatal attitudes and behaviors totally disjoint from
parental attitudes and behaviors? No correlation to be found there?

> If the attitude and environment completely
> determined whether children learn, if it
> took both to tango (And), then we might as
> well have those parents who cared educate
> their children,
Being a good parent isn't the same as being a good teacher.
I have a lot of friends that home school their children (the wife of a good
friend was the past president of the Wash state home-school association or
something) and my wife was a teacher for several years - but we still choose
to use the public schools because they are better than we are at providing
education. (but if the schools sucked, we'd probably home school)

> and those who did not, not educate theirs (and neither would require
> a public school system).
Having inexperienced or uncaring parents shouldn't condemn you to piss poor
educational opportunities.

> But if schools can educate despite attitude
> or environment, and if public education has
> as a goal to provide resources, knowledge,
> and other opportunities without requiring
> that children must first have chosen their
> parents well, then public schools should
> encourage, in loco parentis (and to break
> any chicken and egg cycle), their pupils'
> initiative, literacy, etc.
That is exactly what they do.

> They do this to some extent today.
They offer opportunity 'to some extent'?

> Can they do even better, so that Mr. Hall's list would have some questions
about the
> children themselves, and fewer about any prenatal events?
I don't think adding more opportunity will negate the effect of parental
behavior and attitudes.
Reducing class size below 20 will help everybody - including those with
marginal parental support.
Increasing parental support will help those kids, even if schools remain as
they are.

> Could caching help?  A cheap slow memory
> and a fast expensive one can be combined
> to make a fast cheap system; would it be
> possible to mix huge classes (for lecture,
> drills, or other scalable activities) with
> small tutorials (for face time) to yield
> a higher-touch system but the same average
> class size?
Interesting idea - this is similar to what I had in college for some areas.
I'm thinking mostly about grade school (k-6) and they currently have one
teacher all day, with occasional special teacher (library, music, gym,
etc.).

> >             Not to mention the general dismissive attitude towards
teachers
> > and school - which isn't normally taught in schools so probably is
picked up
> > at home.
>
> or perhaps from other schoolchildren?
> "no more teachers, no more books, ..."
By 'not normally taught in schools' I meant to say 'not normally taught /by/
schools' - so yeah, the attitude comes from other kids and parents (and
movies, radio, etc). Kids see the attitude and see that it is tolerated - so
it helps define the boundary of acceptable behavior, for them as well as
others.