European Leaders in Support of U.S.

R. A. Hettinga rah@shipwright.com
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 01:04:53 -0500

--- begin forwarded text

From: Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
To: Digital Bearer Settlement List <dbs@philodox.com>
Subject: Re: European Leaders in Support of U.S.
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 22:49:28 -0500
Sender: <dbs@philodox.com>

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 19:46, R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB1043875685287040744,00.html

> The
> Iraqi regime and its weapons of mass destruction represent a clear threat
> to world security. This danger has been explicitly recognized by the U.N.
> All of us are bound by Security Council Resolution 1441, which was adopted
> unanimously. We Europeans have since reiterated our backing for Resolution
> 1441, our wish to pursue the U.N. route, and our support for the Security
> Council at the Prague NATO Summit and the Copenhagen European Council.

Wow.  Talk about an uncommonly forthright statement.

It would seem that the German and French leaders are
looking a shade isolated there.  This would make the
invasion of Iraq pretty much a certainty.

> http://online.wsj.com/article_print/0,,SB1043875470158445104,00.html

> Responding Wednesday to the state of the union speech, French Foreign
> Minister Dominique de Villepin said in a television interview that he is
> "delighted" by Mr. Bush's promise that the U.S. would supply new evidence
> of Iraq's weapons programs to a session of the U.N. Security Council on
> Feb. 5. Mr. de Villepin said this was something France has been requesting
> for weeks and would allow an informed decision on whether war is necessary.
> "It is, you know, very important that the international community remains
> unified on this question," Mr. de Villepin said.

France will find a way to decline the veto, probably
from the above.  One would hope that Bush sees
the sense in providing something decent so even
the French have no trouble.

She will punish Britain, another way, another time.

--
iang

--- end forwarded text

--