RedHat 6.2 vs 8.0

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
30 Jan 2003 08:36:29 -0500

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 08:32, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> I don't find the GUI particularly impoverished (I don't really use it
> beyond mousing around the icons).
>
> The antialiased fonts and gcc 3.1 are a sufficient reason to upgrade. The
> font stuff is extremely important especially if one's screen real estate
> is limited. OS X 10.2 has the most readable font rendering on 1024x768
> than I've ever seen. RH 8.0's looks crude in comparison. But it's a vast
> improvement over 7.3 already.

8.1 font rendering will be improved over 8.0's, but there are some
patent-based limitations in how far one can go [the patents are
apple's.] If you're willing to recompile some packages, there are pretty
easy ways to turn on the 'illegal' patented hinting and get much
improved rendering.

Luis [running with non-patented but still from CVS hinting stuff]