[IP] three on SILICON VALLEY FEARS TOXIN IS FAR WORSETHANFIRSTBELIEVED (fwd)

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 06:37:11 -0800

Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:
>
> > The question is, how much is reused?  Old wives already knew
> > gallium arsenide could kill you.  I guess the real question
>
> Uh, GaAs realgar or scherbenkobalt is not. Gallium does not form minerals.
> I'd like to see an old wife that would poison rats with gallium arsenide..

They typically dope it with selenium, which if you
watch CSI is a cure for dandruff and a good way to
kill your husband.

> Why are you so insistent that current chip factories are environmentally
> neutral? It is quite obvious they are not, so whence the problem agnosia?

Everyone knows chip factories pollute.  You can have that
strawman.  Show me one chip factory anywhere in the world
that's not under regulatory control.  Go back to your first
post, show me one chip factory anywhere in the world that
dumps chemicals into streams that run by the factory.   You keep
making this huge leap of logic.  It reminds me of that
cartoon that has the "and then a miracle happened" on
the blackboard.  Why not try a more effective argument
such as "We need tighter regulatory controls as current
ones aren't protecting the environment enough because...
cite, cite, cite incidents are happening despite
existing regulatory controls."

The current argument you are presenting is akin to Renault in
Casablanca saying, "Iam shocked, SHOCKED to find that
chemicals is going on in there [chip making]."  I'm making
fun of your logic, not the content of your argument.

Greg