Huber: Telecom undone-a cautionary tale

Eric S. Johansson esj@harvee.billerica.ma.us
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:10:25 -0500

R. A. Hettinga wrote:
> At 3:56 PM -0800 on 1/21/03, Mr. FoRK wrote:
>

>>Does a competing system come into
>>existence (but it's have to be the long distance carrier of bits)?
>

> No. Because the Godless Democrats :-) have recursively micro-regulated the
> local loop out of existence.

don't we wish.  Unfortunately, regulators, politicians, etc. are to
chicken to take the next step which is structural separation and cleave
apart services from infrastructure.  Only after you separate services
and infrastructure can you have competition at the services level.

First mile infrastructure is a natural monopoly characterized by
increasing competition yielding increasing subscriber costs.

--- eric