The Marching Morons

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 21:46:15 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Robert Harley" <harley@argote.ch>

> UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS

> (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the
>     health and well-being of himself and of his family, including
>     food, clothing, housing [...]

"Everyone has the right to X a standard of living..."
What goes in the X spot? A right to do what with or to a standard of living?
I right to dream of it? A right to give it away? A right to be given it?
What?
What does 'right to a standard of living' mean?

I thought rights applied to actions. I thought rights were a shield to
prevent others from using force upon you, rather than force to be used upon
others.