MSource to China

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
01 Mar 2003 03:49:38 -0500

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 03:36, Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On 1 Mar 2003, Luis Villa wrote:
>
> > <shrug> now that I've run QA for a project covering multiple millions of
> > lines of code, I view things with a slightly different eye than I did
>
> People do not care about how many MLoCs are in there. They want stuff that
> works.

Of course not. But reality sets in at a certain point of software
complexity- # of bugs/kloc doesn't grow linearly with code size, it
grows exponentially. So, yes, obviously, customers don't care how large
it is. But multi-million LOC GUI apps are not the same as Hello World,
no matter how you slice it. It's just Really Fucking Hard to do right.

> Quantity per se is meaningless. A kLoC of Python/Lisp/Forth is not kLoC of
> machine code or C. Similiar applies to the error rate, and the kind of
> errors occuring. The quantity alone doesn't say a single thing about the
> architecture. Etc.

It does say something about complexity of the product, even if it is
only a first-order approximation.

Luis