MSource to China

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 20:42:03 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Gregory Alan Bolcer wrote:

> Enter software architectures--a really
> good technique for reducing the complexity
> of code.

It's not just the architecture. Languages like Forth and Lisp let you
define problem-specific languages, and write your application in terms of
them. This is simply impossible in case of languages of the C family. In
case of Forth you test at word (tiny subroutine, calls are cheap because
you don't use stack frames as in C) level, directly on the target system
(OS+compiler+debugger comfortably fits into 8 kBytes, a minimal system
fits into 2 kBytes), which further reduces error rate.

We originally started discussing this in context of Redmond software
quality. I can understand that x86 architecture constraints discourage the
use of micro and nanokernels due to high context switch latency (it's
order of magnitude less on Power PC). But putting video drivers into
kernel space? Designing a system kernel around a desktop metaphor? What
the fuck!?! Regardless of error rate, the designers should be shot in the
head in the backyard, and buried into shallow graves.