Apple schematics or parts lists?

Steve Nordquist signa@birch.net
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 14:02:38 -0600

The straightforward answer is actually to contact MacWorks,
who if you catch 'em when they're not swamped will up and
tell you all you could ever want to know.  Usually.  Or sell you
something that's not gonna take a restocking fee to send
back if you just looked at the stupid -part- number (though
Shreve systems has the part numbers exposed on stuff they
sell whereas MacWorks (macresq.com) is more of a
weekday synagogue for Macs than junkyard.

                    Typing e-mail in MacWrite is going a bit far....how about some more generous linewrap?
/** On Saturday 01 March 2003 11:31 am, you struggled free to say:
 I hav ethe same thing with an unreliable
 G4--one of the very first to come out.  Despite
 replacing everything except the chip and motherboard,
 it's a real bitch.  It's very stable using os 9,
 incredibly unstable on every minor release of os X
 including not even installing or installing and
 seg faulting on folder creating on the desktop or
 other simple tasks.  It's fairly stable now, but
 compression doesn't work at all which to me indicates
 a bad floating point something or other. **/

      Have you tried siccing a RoboClock or other
clock-twiddler chip on it?  I guess you don't really need
a 300MHz Cypress part even, just a high quality
splice.

/** Apple's official line:  Buy a new one--which I
 can't as it's a work computer, so I have to keep
 limping it along.**/

    C'mon Greg; compute, donate expendable computation
       component to arts, compute, donate....
    (Waaaaait a minute.  I don't do that either!  What AM
     I supposed to do with old 1GB HD that sometimes don't
     come up?  Wait for the ATA shaman to come by?  I guess
     I'll have to become a more likely artist.)

 Eirikur Hallgrimsson wrote:
 > (contains analog hardware geeking)
 >
 > I have here a dead G3 All-In-One that I got for a song, that blew the
 > first regulator chip in such a way as to obscure the part number.

Yeah, I should be ashamed of how few serial port chips
I've cratered.  (Lightning storms help.)