US prepares to use toxic gases in Iraq

JS Kelly jskelly@jskelly.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 11:04:12 -0800 (PST)

On 3 Mar 2003, James Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 10:32, JS Kelly wrote:
> > so you are saying that the people hit by bullets will be more dead
> > than those killed by the spray?
>

> No, I said that all other things being equal, bullets are going to be
> statistically more lethal than chemical incapacitants that work on the
> central nervous system.

you're right -- i apologize.

> However, clearly all things aren't equal in this case.  The sample group
> for CNS incapacitants will include a lot of people that would normally
> be excluded from the "shoot with a bullet" sample group.

well, not only that -- i suspect the 9% mortality figure was in the low
range. the gas used in the moscow theater siege was "calmative" and it
still killed 119 of 750.. with another 145 in intensive care "many on
respirators and dialysis machines because they have no lung or kidney
function"

<http://eatthestate.org/07-05/MoscowTheaterSiege.htm>

given that bullets should be selective enough to kill "adult enemy
soldiers" and gas necessarily will affect "civilian elderly and children"
as well as everyone else (as you point out), i couldn't argue that it
"might" be better than bullets, even if there WASN'T a treaty that we have
signed promising not to use such agents.

if he has really authorized this, bush should be impeached.

-jsk