Fwd: Roger Needham has passed away

Joseph S. Barrera III joseph@barrera.org
Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:36:58 -0800

From: Rick Rashid
Sent: Sun 3/2/2003 1:30 PM
To: Research Division (FULL); Executive Staff and Direct Reports
Cc: Paul O'Beirne (HR); Kim Davis (Waggener Edstrom);
nathanm@intven.com; Terri Watson Rashid
Subject: Roger Needham has passed away

It saddens me to report that Roger Needham, Managing Director and
Founder of Microsoft Research Cambridge, has passed away.  He died
peacefully in his home Friday evening. He will be deeply missed both by
those of us in Microsoft who knew him and by the entire computer science
community.

Roger's funeral will be private.

Just two weeks ago, Microsoft Research sponsored an event celebrating
Roger's 50 years in Cambridge and 5 years with Microsoft.  The highlight
of the event was a presentation to Roger of a book written in his honor
by dozens of the world's top computer scientists. That volume was a
labor of love, friendship and deep admiration for the impact Roger has
had on the field and on so many of us in it.  I include, below, a copy
of the foreword I wrote for that book that talks about Roger and
chronicles his accomplishments.

Roger loved Microsoft and loved the laboratory that he had created. His
wife, Karen Spark Jones, asked that I include in this notice the
following note to the people of MRL Cambridge:

		For MRL Cambridge staff, from Karen Sparck Jones

		I would just like to say that I know that Roger was so happy to work
		with all of you, appreciated all your efforts, and just thought you
		are all doing a great job. He knew that a good lab with the sort of
		high reputation that yours has is all owing to the contributions its
		staff make.

I last met with Roger a little less than two weeks ago. He was in frail
health but mentally sharp and the conversation was focused on MSR
business and the future of the laboratory in Cambridge.  I feel
privileged to have had that once last chance to tell Roger how proud I
was of his accomplishments and to thank him on behalf of Microsoft.

Looking forward, we are fortunate to have a strong management team in
place in Cambridge that can see MSR Cambridge through its next phase of
growth and change.

I have asked Andrew Herbert to step up to the position of Managing
Director of Microsoft Research Cambridge and he has accepted. Andrew has
a long and distinguished history in Cambridge going back to his 1970's
work on networks and distributed computing with Roger Needham and
Maurice Wilkes. He joined Microsoft in January, 2001 as Assistant
Director working with Roger and has since managed a number of projects
in the area of computer systems and networking.

I have the greatest confidence that Andrew, with the strong support of
his Assistant Directors Chris Bishop and Luca Cardelli (themselves two
of the most distinguished researchers in their fields), will continue
the tradition of excellence Roger began and take MSR Cambridge to new
levels of accomplishment.

-Rick

*******************************

Roger Needham

By Rick Rashid
Senior Vice President, Microsoft Research

I first encountered Roger Needham almost 20 years ago while lecturing in
an advanced course on distributed systems being held in Glasgow during
the summer of 1983.  I must admit that I felt just a bit out of place
lecturing alongside the likes of Gerald Le Lann, Jim Mitchell and Roger
Needham.  Roger had become head of Cambridge University's fabled
Computer Laboratory just three years earlier-about the same time I had
received my Ph.D.

When I heard Roger lecture for the first time I was taken aback by his
remarkable and very unusual speaking style. I've since seen it described
in the press as "deliberate and thoughtful" and it is all of that.
Listening to a lecture in computer science can sometimes make you feel
as though you are chasing after the words trying to piece together the
speaker's meaning.  When Roger spoke I found myself hanging on each word
wondering with great anticipation what would come next. The wait was
usually worthwhile. That summer in 1983 I discovered to my delight
Roger's keen insight, dry wit and ability to turn the English language
into his personal plaything.

	An improvement is something your program will not work with and a bug
fix is something it will not work without.-Roger Needham

Looking back, I still find it hard to believe that 20 years later I
would be running a large research organization for Microsoft and would
have the privilege of working with Roger on a daily basis as Managing
Director of our Cambridge research laboratory.  It has been quite a
journey.

Early career

Roger Needham was born in 1935.  He received a scholarship to study
mathematics at Cambridge University and arrived on campus in 1953. Roger
received his B. A. in Mathematics and Moral Science (Philosophy) in 1956
and his Diploma in Numerical Analysis and Automatic Computing in 1957,
in the last year of the Edsac 1 computer.

I've heard the story told that while studying for his Ph.D. Roger lived
in a caravan with his wife Karen Spärck Jones with whom he also
collaborated on several papers. The reason for their unorthodox living
arrangements was that while completing his Ph.D. Roger and Karen also
undertook the building of their own house. Despite this rather strenuous
side occupation, Roger completed his PhD at Cambridge in 1961. This was
on automatic classification and information retrieval, exciting new and
interdisciplinary areas. At the time, Roger was working with the
Cambridge Language Research Unit, which was investigating machine
translation, automated retrieval, and the like. He and joined the
University's Mathematical Laboratory-what is now known as the Computer
Laboratory - in 1962.

Although his Ph.D. was on an applications topic, Roger's career has been
that of a classic - almost prototypical - "systems" computer scientist.
It is hard to pin him down to a single area. Roger has made significant
contributions to areas such as operating systems, networking,
distributed systems, computer security and multimedia. In an interview
for SIGSoft's Software Engineering Notes published in January, 2001,
Roger is quoted as saying:

	I regard myself as a systems person, not an OS person, nor a
communications systems person. I think all three systems require the
same kind of skills.

During his career Roger has had a knack for apparently being at the
right place at the right time, working with the right collaborators and
hitting on the right idea. Roger is fond of saying that:

	Serendipity is looking for a needle in a hay stack and finding the
farmer's daughter.

The reality is that his consistent contributions have had nothing to do
with serendipity but rather his personal talents and ability to draw to
himself talented people and find ways to inspire and motivate them.

The first major system Roger worked on following his Ph.D. was TITAN.
The Laboratory, under Maurice Wilkes, was providing the software for
hardware built by Ferranti (subsequently ICT/ICL). TITAN was the
earliest computer system to employ cache memory and its operating system
was the first multi-access system written outside the US to go into
public use.  Roger first worked with David Wheeler on design automation,
and then became involved in building the operating system. One of
Roger's enduring innovations was the use of a one way function to
protect its password file - something virtually every modern computer
system does today. The TITAN file system also introduced the notion of
full backup and restore and the ability to do incremental backups.

Computing in the 1960s and early 1970s was a "full contact sport". In
keeping with his "systems" image - Roger was not above doing anything
that might be required to keep his operating system running. In addition
to developing TITAN's software, he enjoys telling the story of the
miserable day he sat in an air conditioning unit pouring water from a
bucket over a pile of bricks to cool the system and keep it running for
users.

As a member of staff. Roger also began to teach, initially for the
Diploma and later, when Cambridge accepted Computer Science as a degree
subject, to undergraduates; and he began to take PhD students, now to be
met round the world.

CAP, Rings and the Cambridge Model Distributed System

Building on lessons learned from Titan, in the late 1960s Roger began to
concentrate on protection - providing fine-grained access control to
resources between users, between users and the operating system and
between operating system modules  From the early 1970s he worked with
Maurice Wilkes and David Wheeler on the design and construction of the
CAP computer, an experimental machine with memory protection based on
capabilities implemented in hardware.  Once the machine was running in
1975, Roger then led the development of the machine's operating system
and was responsible for many innovations in computer security.  The CAP
project received a British Computer Society Technical Award in 1977.  As
the Internet moves toward adoption of a common web services
infrastructure there is renewed interest in capability based access
control today.

Working with Maurice Wilkes, David Wheeler, Andy Hopper and others,
Roger was also involved in the construction of the Cambridge Ring (1974)
and its successor the Cambridge Fast Ring (1980).  The 10 megabit per
second Cambridge Ring put the Computer Laboratory at the forefront of
high speed local area networking and distributed computing research. The
Cambridge Fast Ring ran at 100 megabits per second - still the typical
speed of local computer networks more than 20 years later - and helped
to inspire the creation of the ATM switching networks in use today.

The software developed to run on top of the Cambridge Ring was no less
remarkable than the hardware. The Cambridge Model Distributed System on
which Roger worked with Andrew Herbert and others was an innovative
distributed software environment built to run on top of the Cambridge
Ring.  It included computing components such as a Processor Bank, File
Server, Authentication Server, Boot Server etc. and was an early model
for what we would today call "thin client computing."

This line of work on distributed systems was taken further in the 1980s
in the Universe and Unison projects, where independent Cambridge Rings
that sat at several UK sites were interconnected by satellite (Universe)
and high speed point-to-point links (Unison) to demonstrate wide area
distributed computing. Both rings were used to do real-time voice and
video applications (the Cambridge "Island" project) - another "first".

There were several commercial and academic deployments of Cambridge
Rings spun out from the Computer Laboratory.  It is believed that a
derivative of the Cambridge Ring still runs part of the railway
signalling system at London's Liverpool Street Station!

Head of Department, Computer Laboratory

Roger had been promoted Reader in Computer Systems in 1973, and was made
Professor in 1981. When Maurice Wilkes retired in 1980, Roger became
Head of Department, In addition to his personal scientific achievements.
Roger oversaw the growth and maturation of Cambridge University's
Computer Laboratory during an important part of its history.  When he
took over as Head of Department, the Laboratory had a teaching and
research staff of 10 and just over 40 Ph.D. students.  Ten years later,
in 1990, the teaching and research staff had grown to 27 and the number
of Ph.D. students had more than doubled.  Roger is quoted as referring
to this as the Laboratory's

	"halcyon days" - an expanding Laboratory and no external
interference.

Though the Laboratory's strength was in systems, and Roger himself was a
"systems" scientist, he encouraged new areas to develop, for example,
formal methods, and language and information processing.  One topic of
research Roger particularly developed at Cambridge was the intersection
of multimedia systems and networking. As a result, Cambridge became one
of the first research laboratories in the world where teleconferencing
and video mail became regular tools for research.

Roger continued in the 1980s and 90s to be interested in all aspects of
computer systems, but was especially concerned with security. He
participated in every one the ACM Symposia on Operating Systems
Principles, and is believed to be the only person to have achieved a
100% attendance record.  With Ross Anderson, he has been involved in
Cambridge events including a security programme at the Newton Institute
and Protocols Workshops. He has recently combined his intellectual and
(left wing) political interests as a Trustee of the Foundation for
Information Policy Research. He has also emphasised, in a related
spirit, in his 2002 Saul Gorn Lecture at the University of Pennsylvania
and Clifford Paterson Lecture at the Royal Society, that doing system
security properly is as much about people as about machines.

Referring to Roger's impact on the Computer Laboratory on the occasion
of his Honorary Doctorate from the University of Twente in 1996, Sape