The Moon is a Harsh Cadre Leader

Bill Humphries bill@whump.com
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 22:05:08 -0800

On Monday, March 3, 2003, at 06:23 PM, R. A. Hettinga wrote:

> Or, that the (lower-case-c) chinese, once actually there, would not
> take out, say, <correct-spelling>Peking</c-s>, first (Peking, duck!)?

Why not, it was in the book...

> Don't blame me, I'm headed to the belt anyway...
> Maybe the Oort cloud...

Keeping out of a gravity well is a good idea if people start pushing
rocks around for fun and profit.
"What, you wanted that in foot-pounds, not newtons? Fuck, it's only
Kansas..."
But it's cold and dark out there. I'd stick closer to home, like a
liberation point, where it may be cold, but not so dark. I'll buy a
rock-full of volatiles from the super-cooled intelligences of the Oort
Cloud Syndicate. (book plug for _The Golden Age_ here) Damn, I better
put my order in now so it'll arrive within the century.

> If you think mass-drivers on the moon are fun, wait until we start
> moving *asteroids* around, baby. Bwahahaha!

There's a fun novel about this, _Fellow Traveler_, by William Barton
and Michael Capobianco. The Soviets decide to nudge an Earth-crossing
rock into orbit where it can be properly exploited. This came out in
1992. I was reading it in May of that year as the Soviets were
superannuating themselves.

Of course, if they put those annoying backup klaxons on the asteroids
when they move them, I'll have to move out of the plane of the ecliptic
to get some peace and quiet.

-- whump