US Civil War / Slavery / History / Economics. "Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men"

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 15:47:47 +0000

John Hall:
>I'm pretty sure Russell recommended this book about a year ago.

Please, please, please buy Jeff's book. Buy it
new:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812693124/qid=1046792546/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-2844113-8730217?v=glance&s=books

Yes, Jeff is an excellent writer, even among other
historians. Yes, this is a pleasurable, edifying,
and enjoyable read, one of the few works I've seen
in recent years that casts new perspective on the
Civil War.

Most importantly, though, Jeff is a good friend of
mine, from a quarter-century ago when we were both
graduate students, and like all academics in the
"soft" fields, he needs the royalties. Buy two
copies, and give one as a present. 8-)