"Was I that Stupid"

Lucas Gonze lucas@gonze.com
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:21:18 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, johnhall wrote:
> http://www.accessnorthgeorgia.com/news/newfullstory.asp?ID=69541
>
> "In 1972 I was a freshman at UC Berkeley, ... As a political science
> major I thought I had all the answers. The North Vietnamese were merely
> freedom fighters trying to liberate their country from the shackles of
> western imperialism. ... Governor Ronald Reagan, ... was somewhere right
> of Attila the Hun."

With age you learn suspicion.  This is a good thing.  Unfortunately for
this pundit, you should learn suspicion of domestic threats as well as
foreign ones.

> "Will today's current peace protestors eventually feel as foolish as I
> do? I think even more so. "

I remember being too young to believe that the national government could
have an antidemocratic agenda, and I do feel foolish about it.

> "I looked at the recent television images of thousands, almost in a
> party atmosphere, as they chanted their rhyming protests against a
> possible war. Was I that stupid? I hope not."

This bullshit about the partying protestors, by the way, is a fabrication.
Calling it spin would be too charitable.

- Lucas