"Was I that Stupid"

Tom tomwhore@slack.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:53:02 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Eugen Leitl wrote:
--]Actually, things to oscillate around a bit.
--]People do read less these days. We're going towards more multimedial
--]stuff. I was wondering about kids participating in list culture, though.
--]My impression (many data points): as a rule they dont'.
--]

My take on this, reading itself is not so much the act of reading great
and sanctioned literature in dead tree format  but rather experiencing
through words ideas and images that spur the reader to discover more.

I have not read as many "books" in the last 15 years than I did in the
previous 15 years but I have surely more than made up for the reading
level via other mediums (bbs, web, usenet, email, ebooks, textphilez)

One thing I can say for sure, I have particpiated more than the previous
15 years. By participiating I mean writting in reposnse to the stuff I
have read.

I see this all as a matter not so much of Books vs All Else but rather
Reading By Any Means Nessecary.

-tomwsmf