The absolutist mistake in the Bill of Rights

johnhall johnhall@isomedia.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:25:57 -0800

> From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
> Russell Turpin

Contracts aren't effective if someone can change the terms after they
are signed.

That being said, Russell is right about the $20 mistake.

> Were
> I set the task of fixing this bug, I would
> replace the phrase "exceed twenty dollars"
> with "exceeds two months median wage, as
> reasonably determined by Congress." Let the
> OMB calculate a statistical amount every
> four years, and Congress approve it. It's
> important to use median wage rather than
> mean, to tie the amount to what the ordinary
> man does, not how high the richest fly.

At the time, it was probably better to have fixed it to Gold.  The value
of 1 oz of .999 fine gold on the open market.

The other way I'd have considered handling this was to tie it to a
fraction of the pay for an Army Sergent.