Andreessen on blogging

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:16:33 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Tom wrote:

> The implication that those with day jobs dont do blogs, or that only

It takes a full time job (3-5 h a day at highest productivity level to
produce something relevant and readable (maybe less if you're an elemental
radiating raw mental energy and rearrange the trapped charges in yonder
bitbuckets by sheer forcefield of will). Most people take >6 h sleep/day,
have a commute, and also spend their workdays in front of a VDU. It's only
understandable that pulling a second shift at home for the edification of
the great unwashed is then at the back end of their minds. Aren't you
supposed to have a fambly, and stuff?

> egoaholics do blogs is spurious at worst and more telling of Andreessen
> and his ego level at best.

Dunno about Andreessen, but if given a choice of going out and doing stuff
instead of going out and writing about other people doing stuff the choice
is terribly terribly clear. Heavy unapologetic blogging is an amittance of
defeat.

Those who can't, blog.

> "Oh posh, thats for the unwashed masses."
>
> or maybe its more like "well its not loudcloud or anything I can attribute
> godheaddom on, so it must be beneath me"
>
> Sound and fury signifying monkey.

Can you make other monkeys doing stuff you want by writing about it? Maybe
you can. What's your peformance evaluation metric, though?