Washington state lacks an income tax? (was:A Prescription Plan Hailed)

Chris Olds cco@dydax.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 19:14:39 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003, Russell Turpin wrote:

> Did I hear that right? Cool. I'll have to put
> it on my short list.

It's true now, and it'll take an amendment to the state constitution to
put one in, but there's a long-standing effort to put on in.  There was a
commission last year that recommended an income tax, and both Dan Evans
(R. Wash, ex-Governor (3 terms) and US Senator) and Bill Gates (Jr., not
trey) were on that commission and in support of the recommendation.
We do have some of the highest sin taxes in the nation, and there's a bill
under consideration to raise the tax on beer to $32/bbl (it's currently
$8/bbl).  Utah says[1] we have the highest business taxes in the west,
too.

We're currently having funding troubles too, although not as bad as
Oregon; the Basic Health plan is getting squeezed, but rationing is
implemented by limiting eligibility and the number of participants rather
than taking all comers and limiting services.  The good news is that those
in most need don't seem to be in danger of getting cut off; the bad news
is that there is still a lot of unmet need.

	/cco

[1] http://www.researchcouncil.org/Briefs/1999/PB99-32/BusinessTaxes.htm