NYTimes.com Article: A Prescription Plan Hailed as a Model Is a Budget Casualty

johnhall johnhall@isomedia.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:39:14 -0800

> From: geege [mailto:geege@barrera.org]
>
> I'M TALKING ABOUT HOW *YOU* DETERMINE WHETHER OR NOT A STATE'S
INVESTMENT
> IN SOCIAL SERVICES IS EXCESSIVE.

In this context, when the spending exceeds the willingness of those
paying the bills to continue to do so.

> Excessively generous legislation is an explanation of the problem, not
> an excuse.
> "EXCESSIVELY GENEROUS LEGISLATION" IS A CONCLUSION DRAWN FROM A FAULTY
> PREMISE, NOT AN EXPLANATION.

We have case A: where they ran up the bills and now can't pay.
We have case B: where they didn't run up the bills nearly so high and as
a consequence they aren't in that fix.

Case A running up the bills compared to case B is an observable fact and
a rather obvious explanation of the problem A has compared to B.

Now, what caused the bills to get run up?  Legislation that authorized
the bills.

It might help remembering that Oregon had a Single Payer Health plan on
the ballot recently (it lost after most every business in the state
promised to relocate if they did something that stupid).