Washington state lacks an income tax? (was:A Prescription Plan Hailed)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:59:32 +0000

John Hall:
>And if you _really_ want to duck taxes ..

At least for me, the issue is less ducking taxes
than maintaining control over my own finances.
>From that perspective, taxes are just another
outlay. The income tax is pernicious for several
reasons. First, it requires an outlay in effort
and accounting as well as in dollars and cents.
Second, it is so complex that one can never be
certain one has followed the rules and will avoid
enforcement. Third, one cannot moderate tax
exposure by moderating spending, and indeed,
certain expenditures are given a tax break.

>.. you live just north of the Oregon border. Washington has no income tax,
>Oregon has no sales tax. Live in Washington, shop in Oregon ...

That's a good idea for big ticket items, such as
monthly trips to Sam's. For everyday items, the
cheapest (and healthiest) place to live is a
decent neighborhood, where you can walk to the
grocer and other places you most often patronize.
Shoe leather is cheaper than operating a car by a
long shot. Driving eight miles to save four
dollars on a grocery bill is a fool's errand.