what a fucking mess

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
07 Mar 2003 22:48:34 -0500

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 22:30, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> Microsoft must really be pleased.

Yup. This will quickly become part of their anti-Unix/Linux FUD, without
a doubt. That's the most serious shame of this, as it is with most
inter-family squabbles in Free Software.

> I wonder just how ugly this will get.

Probably not much; we[1] spent some time casually chatting about this
today and our educated[2] guess is that IBM probably has more IP lawyers
on payroll (after counting international IP staff) than SCO has total
employees. Also, their claims are bullshit, which never hurts. :) To
summarize [very rough nutshell], their claim is that Linux is only good
['enterprise ready'] because of IBM and that IBM is only able to make
Unix/Linux 'enterprise ready' on x86 because they stole IP from SCO.
These claims are so utterly laughable and clearly historically
inaccurate[3] that if IBM can't get the suit dropped promptly I'd
question the ability of their legal representation.

FWIW, I recommend http://lwn.net/Articles/24747/ as a fairly accurate
(if slightly worked up) more detailed reading and ripping apart of the
complaint.

Luis

[1] Ximian hackers, friends
[2] We know people who know people ;)
[3] I mean, c'mon- the most popular Unix on x86 was written by a finish
college student in his spare time, using tools that were written by MIT
people in their spare time, neither of which required source from SCO.
Proving that IBM can do such a thing and make it 'enterprise ready' with
or without SCO's 'expertise' should be a matter of about five minutes
with a judge with 1/2 a brain. And of course Linux was beating the pants
off of SCO Unix well before Unix entered the fray- best estimate I could
find was that even in 1997 RH/Caldera/Suse were outshipping SCO 7:2 or
so.