what a fucking mess

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 20:15:08 -0800

Luis Villa wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 22:30, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
>
>>Microsoft must really be pleased.
>
> Yup. This will quickly become part of their anti-Unix/Linux FUD, without
> a doubt. That's the most serious shame of this, as it is with most
> inter-family squabbles in Free Software.

And here I thought I had seen the end of the Unix infighting
years ago, like 1992. If it weren't for the infighting, Xenix
would be what would be on most people's desks today. That's
what Microsoft was selling for servers before NT (and let's
please just ignore OS/2). When I joined Microsoft in 1992,
all the mail servers were running Xenix, and it wasn't too
long before then that Microsoft employees actually logged
into Xenix boxes to run /bin/Mail or equivalent. When I
joined they had put together a gateway so you could read
your Internet email on your Win 3.1 boxes running Microsoft Mail.
Things could have been very different...

- Joe