what a fucking mess

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
07 Mar 2003 23:25:32 -0500

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 23:15, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> Luis Villa wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 22:30, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> >
> >>Microsoft must really be pleased.
> >
> > Yup. This will quickly become part of their anti-Unix/Linux FUD, without
> > a doubt. That's the most serious shame of this, as it is with most
> > inter-family squabbles in Free Software.
>
> And here I thought I had seen the end of the Unix infighting
> years ago, like 1992.

FWIW, I think it is /mostly/ dead- the licensing mostly takes care of
that. The only remaining battles between the Unices, I think, are going
to be the IP/FUD death-throes of the non-Free Unices. SCO is the first
(after having tried to become a Linux company) and I fear Sun may follow
in their footsteps in a few years. [Less via IP and more via just sheer
FUD.] Past that, the only real danger of a repeat of the dark Unix past
is if United Linux and Red Hat start seriously forking their kernels and
then touting their kernel as a feature, which is a real if so far
unlikely possibility.

Luis

> If it weren't for the infighting, Xenix
> would be what would be on most people's desks today. That's
> what Microsoft was selling for servers before NT (and let's
> please just ignore OS/2). When I joined Microsoft in 1992,
> all the mail servers were running Xenix, and it wasn't too
> long before then that Microsoft employees actually logged
> into Xenix boxes to run /bin/Mail or equivalent. When I
> joined they had put together a gateway so you could read
> your Internet email on your Win 3.1 boxes running Microsoft Mail.
> Things could have been very different...

Didn't know any of that. Interesting.