another classic

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Fri, 07 Mar 2003 21:01:51 -0800

I find it ironic that Microsoft's win in the look-and-feel
case now allows Linux folks to completely rip off the windows
interface for Lindows and other similar projects.

Note the version numbers. I actually have a machine
somewhere running Windows 2.1, and I have all the apps
from Windows 2.1 and 1.03 on my laptop just because
I am perverse. I have "Microsoft Windows Terminal
Version 2.1 Copyright (c) 1988 Microsoft Corp."
running in another window...

- Joe

P.S. Geege: I'm not drinking, I'm just hypomanic

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Favorable Ruling in Apple Case
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 92 09:52:27 PDT
From: rashid@microsoft.com
To: mk3@cs.cmu.edu

Judge Issues Favorable Ruling for Microsoft in Apple Lawsuit

   SAN FRANCISCO -- August 7, 1992 -- Judge Vaughn Walker
of the U.S. District Court of northern California on Friday
reaffirmed his April 14, 1992, ruling in favor of  Microsoft Corporation,
finding that all of the allegedly infringing visual displays in dispute in
Windows 2.03 are licensed or not protectible under Apple's copyrights.
Judge Walker also determined that all the allegedly infringing visual
displays in Windows 3.0 are either licensed or are unprotectible or are
different.  In addition, the judge rejected Apple's claim that it could
protect the "look and feel" of its Macintosh programs.

    "Judge Walker's ruling confirms our position from the beginning,
that all of the visual displays in the Microsoft Windows operating system
are either covered by our original license agreement with Apple or are
not protectible under Apple's copyrights," said William H. Neukom,
Microsoft vice president of law and corporate affairs.  "We are
obviously very pleased with this order."

    In this copyright case, originally filed more than four years ago,
Apple alleges that Microsoft (R) Windows (TM) version 2.03 and 3.0 and
Hewlett Packard (R) NewWave (R) version 2.0 and 3.0 infringe on Apple
copyrights.

    Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ "MSFT") is the worldwide leader in
software for personal computers.  The company offers a wide range of
products and services for business and personal use, each designed
with the mission of making it easier and more enjoyable for people to
take advantage of the full power of personal computing every day.