An alternative to state income tax (was: Washington lacks state income tax?)

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Sat, 08 Mar 2003 23:47:37 +0000

John Hall:
>MV fuel taxes are estimated to be about 1.3B over the next two years.  A
>quick (very quick) read indicates that MV transportation spending should be
>about 2.8 Billion, but I can't be sure. This is out of 52B estimated over
>the next two years.

I suspect you're looking at the state budget
rather than an aggregate of city budgets. Cities
have higher road expense, for obvious reasons:
urban roads are more congested and more costly
to build, maintain, and police than rural roads.
Getting to the numbers is difficult, because
the costs aren't always separated in a convenient
fashion. For example, how much of a city's police
and court costs go to traffic issues? What
proportion of "capital improvement bonds" were
spent on this? I don't know. But when I look at
the public infrastructure in a city, the roadways
account for a lot of it.

Relieving city budgets has significant impact on
state budgets through the shared expenditures,
such as schools.