[evol-psych] defection from groups (fwd)

Mr. FoRK fork_list@hotmail.com
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 18:53:56 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eugen Leitl" <eugen@leitl.org>

I doubt this needs pointing out, but standardized tests can have a lot of
societal bias as to what common knowledge is. An IQ test consisting of
concepts involved with farming as opposed to interstate travel or
telecommunications for example. I think there were some standardized tests
that were 'normalized' to account for differences between urban and
suburban/rural children.

---
http://mentor.lscf.ucsb.edu/course/winter/psych121/lecture/121lec11.htm
"Is content Bias a problem for minorities on standardized tests?

The BITCH and Chitling tests show that African-Americans know more about
urban "Black Culture" than do Whites. There's no reason to believe these
tests measure intelligence. Still, they highlight the the possibility that
knowledge sampled on standard IQ, achievement, and/or aptitude tests might
be more familiar to some groups than others. If so, content bias is an
issue:  Theoretically, content bias would be present if Blacks and Whites
with equal underlying intelligence received different scores because of
unequal familiarity with test content. "
---

---
http://transition.alaska.edu/pt3/projects/ed478/Standard/Chart.htm
"The following graph is a summary of the results of the 1999-2000 Alaska
HSGQE.  In the graph, rural and urban school scores are compared for each
section of the exam.  The results illustrate that rural students scored
significantly lower on all sections of the test than urban students.
[...]
We should be asking if rural kids should be required to pass the exit exam
at all.  Are these exit exams preparing kids to live in urban settings?
What about the kids who choose to stay in their village and live by more
traditional means?  One thing is clear. The exit exam probably needs some
more work before it can be a useful tool for rural Alaskan students.  When
at least 40% of the students are failing each section of the test (as in the
rural schools) it should alert us that there are problems that need our
attention.  To be fair to all of our students we must take the time to make
sure it addresses the needs of everyone. "