Broadband competition might still be possible

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Sun, 9 Mar 2003 20:54:57 -0500

On Sunday 09 March 2003 08:12 pm, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> Does anyone even use thin coax anymore?

The good thing about point-to-point cat-5 twisted pair with hubs is that
you don't have the entire building on the same party line.   It's easy for
cable failures to happen and be hard to find while EVERYONE is down
because of a crushed coax behind someone's desk.   And, when debugging
network stuff, it's easy to share a hub and not connect it to the building
net.   (You tend to have cat-5 cables, but thin coax tends to be install
and forget.)    You CAN easily set up an ad-hoc network with coax, if you
have the wire and the termination fittings.

I miss the ritual of the vampire tap, myself.

I have a large collection of DEC "thinwire" thin coax BNC-connector
fittings and adapters.   I use them as a sort of LEGO.   I snarfed as many
as I could when DEC replaced the thinwire with cat-5.   So, I build up
little robots and things out of this stuff.   They even have tires,
because there were fittings that came with plastic grips.

I'm using coax to connect from my living-room hub to the Tektronics boat
(battleship) anchor Phaser III thermal-wax printer.    It predates the
cat-5 world.    It takes up a lot of the payload space in a pickup truck,
too.    This need for coax makes my 48-port HP hub look vaguely
reasonable, but I have to admit that I had it long before the printer.

Eirikur