and why the hell...

Luis Villa louie@ximian.com
09 Mar 2003 22:22:08 -0500

On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 22:10, Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> Gordon Mohr wrote:
> > They're planned for Java 1.5. See...
>
> Cool!
>
> I love Java. I hope it survives the death of Sun,
> should Sun die as some are predicting...

For better or for worse, reports of Sun's death are greatly exagerrated.
They're still cash-flow positive and they've got billions in the bank.
The question is not 'will they die soon' but rather 'will they find a
purpose soon.' There are still a lot of people in that organization who
think that they can survive selling Solaris and Sparc[1], which is a
patently ludicrous idea in the long term- in the server space, at least,
Linux is a classic disruptive technology and all they are doing is
buying time. If they don't find a purpose soon, a /relevant/ purpose,
they're going to remain profitable for a long time, just getting smaller
and smaller as the only market they can profitably serve (mega-huge
multi-CPU servers) gets smaller and smaller itself.

Luis

[1] note their official response to the SCO suit, which was basically
'see, we told you linux sucks', even while they try desperately to sell
linux boxes themselves.