and why the hell...

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:09:38 +0000

Luis Villa:
>Yeah. C++ templates made some things conceptually very nice, but the actual
>STL implementations were a miserable pain to actually use.

I must confess, I never found them that much
of a problem. They do add an increment of
type safety. I know that I and other C++
programmers also have defined generic
application types in real, production code in
large systems, though this is not terribly
common.

This is not an argument for templates as a
language feature, just an observation that they
are sometimes used for their intended purpose.