FW: [IP] Dan Gillmor on Technology: Monday October 21,2002: Software idea may be just crazy enough to work

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:20:03 +0000

>Mitch Kapor smiles at the half-serious question: ``Are you crazy to try
>something like this?''

In this case, I take that question a bit personally.
Back in the mid-90s, I had the idea that a PIM
really needed more flexibility and semantics. I
worked out the logic for PIM software that would
handle everything from a history student taking
notes on the Tudors to an IMS measurer keeping track
of boats. The logic was strong enough to permit
arbitrary relationships, convert dimensions, and
support some basic inference, but weak enough to be
tractable. I developed some small prototypes.

And then decided there wasn't really a market for
this kind of application. I had some thought that
this wasn't really PIM as much as it was something
for students and researchers, but there it fails
by being too generic. I'm still not sure there
is a niche. For true PIM, what Palm provides
really is the 10% that does 90% of what you need.
For other areas, people will want domain specific
features.

I would love to work on the project that Kapor has
in mind. If I thought there was any money in it.