Something tells me 'French Onion Soup' and 'Crepes' are next...

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:22:20 -0500

It _must_ be a slow Congressional day.  Oddly enough, I wanted to make
sure this wasn't a spoof, and prominently on Rep. Ney's homepage is an
announcement declaring the same.  All I can say, is in times of war,
it makes me happy to be American.  Only here is the choice of food
such a high point in Congressional affairs.

:)
http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/11/sprj.irq.fries/
http://www.house.gov/ney/

House cafeterias change names for 'french fries' and 'french toast'
Move reflects anger over France's stance on Iraq

Tuesday, March 11, 2003 Posted: 12:52 PM EST (1752 GMT)

Restaurant serves 'freedom fries'

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The cafeteria menus in the three House office
buildings will change the name of "french fries" to "freedom fries," a
culinary rebuke of France, stemming from anger over the country's
refusal to support the U.S. position on Iraq.

Ditto for "french toast," which will be known as "freedom toast."

The name changes were spearheaded by two Republican lawmakers who held
a news conference Tuesday to make the name changes official on the
menus.

Across the country, some private restaurants have done the same.

"This action today is a small, but symbolic effort to show the strong
displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called
ally, France," said Rep. Bob Ney, R-Ohio, the chairman of the
Committee on House Administration.

Ney, whose committee has authority over the House cafeterias, directed
the change, after colleague Walter Jones, R-North Carolina, circulated
a letter suggesting such a move.

"I represent a district with multiple military bases that have
deployed thousands of troops," Jones said in a statement. "As I've
watched these men and women wave good-bye to their loved ones, I am
reminded of the deep love they have for the freedom of this nation and
their desire to fight for the freedom of those who are oppressed
overseas," Jones said in a statement. "Watching France's self -serving
politics of passive aggression in this effort has discouraged me more
than I can say."

France has pressed the United Nations to give weapons inspectors more
time in Iraq, saying the U.S. and British-led move to war is
premature.

Its stance has angered some U.S. lawmakers.

Rep. Jim Saxton, R-New Jersey, has introduced legislation in the House
that would block any French company from receiving U.S. government aid
or financing in any reconstruction of Iraq. Another measure
discourages American tourists, businesses and the government from
participating in the 2003 Paris Air show.

--
 bitbitch                          mailto:bitbitch@magnesium.net

"When I saw God he was a vending machine ..."