Fwd: [BATN] Bay Area gas at record high; experts cite ethanol

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:30:01 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 owen@permafrost.net wrote:

> Or work as a computer programmer.
>
> Currently earning about 70% (not adjusted for inflation) of what I earned
> at my first, entry-level position in 1986.

Ah, so i'm not the only one!

Basicly my day jobs doubled each job. The in college one, the out of college
one, the MN one, the CA one... there there was a crash. Now i'm back to
effectively the out of college wage, but doing consulting.

Which still puts me alot better off then most of my friends, who are making
what they made at their pre-job job.

What programming jobs there are in the US are rapidly dropping in wage, and
should within a year be pegged at about 150% of what you would have to pay
someone in India. 50% is about what the wage and suffering of running a
remote team in another timezone is worth in my experience. This is actually
above the minimum wage, but well below what a janitor makes.

For example back when i was in CA, even Sun was looking for a 5yr+ exp
programmer, to lead a project. They were offering $30k, on which you can
afford to live in Mexico, not CA.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg@mithral.com
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/