Under the category of "give me a break"

Russell Turpin deafbox@hotmail.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:03:29 +0000

SXSW is in full swing, which means some of the
local hot spots are crowded. Then there were
these letters in the local paper, this morning:

http://www.austin360.com/auto_docs/epaper/editions/friday/editorial_3.html

When I read these, I figured I was still in
bed dreaming. These people are complaining that
Joan Baez -- Joan famous left-wing, anti-war
activist, peace-song Baez -- made political
commentary between her songs. And it was,
ohmygosh, anti-war and anti-Republican. Isn't
that a bit like complaining that George Carlin
has a sharp tongue, that Howard Stern ogles his
female guests, or that Billy Graham asks you to
find Jayy-zus at the end of his show?

Maybe those letters are spoofs. Next week, we'll
get letters complaining that Willie Nelson has a
scraggly beard, and wouldn't it be nicer if we
could turn up the temperature in Barton Springs.
That's got to be it. Either that, or they really
are pumping quaalude into the west Austin water
supply.