[mises] War and the Economy

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 16:09:19 -0400

johnhall wrote:

>> What did the war do to the country? All hoopla aside, it is no freer,

no

>> more democratic, and no more prosperous.

Horsepucky.

So it is more free, more democratic and more prosperous? As far as I can
tell its the first of several military dictatorships that the US is going
to impose on the Middle East. The US military appointed some figureheads, but
they all have the Taliban to remind them - "Do what we say, or you die."

>>How big is the US military? It is by far the largest and most
>>

>potentially
>

>>destructive in the history of the world. The US this year will spend
>>

>in
>

>>excess of $400 billion (not including much spy spending).
>>

>Just before 9/11 US defense spending was less than 4% of GDP, and it is
>still about there.  That is almost certainly the lowest figure for a
>dominant military power in recorded history.
>
>What should scare the world is how _cheap_ US defense spending is for
>the American economy.  We could afford quite a bit more.  [JFK /
>Eisenhower spent about 10%, Reagan was 6-8% IIRC.]

No - what should scare the world is that Americans talk like that. Lets
face it folks this isn't about oil
or security - its about global conquest. And it then becomes every
non-American's moral duty to
deinvest in the US economy now.

Or as an alternative, I saw a great headline on the Weekly World News at
the grocery store.
"Saddam to become French Citizen, Ambassador to the US."

Personally I would like to see Russian/French/German/UN troops deployed
to Iraq to defend against the US.
The problem, of course  is that King George has no restrictions (nor any
moral compunction, as far as I can see)
on his use of WMDs. And none of those 3 want to be next in line for
conquest.

Owen