Fwd: [BATN] Bay Area gas at record high; experts cite ethanol

Adam L. Beberg beberg@mithral.com
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 22:50:41 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 owen@permafrost.net wrote:

> Not in this country - nor I suspect anywhere away from the epicenter. I
> got one increase close to that - right at the height of dot-com mania.
> But from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties, outside the US,
> programming is a poor paying job.

Yea, only the CA job one was really outside a national avg. All engineering
and programming is rapidly headed for a global average tho.

> And after the bubble its back to being
> a poor paying job.  Which of course, another thing you discover, is that
> it is like most low paying jobs, predominantly female - I have worked in
> 2 places where I was the token male.

Females? WHERE?!? In all seriousness I have never worked with a female on
any of my day jobs. Never. Sure a secretary or whatever the PC term for that
is now, but you can't really count those.

> Personally I think that thats not necessarily a bad thing, if the same
> transparency also gets applied to investments - with competition for the
> good ones driving the price up until they're no longer "good", and
> hopefully the additional funds fuel innovation which reduces prices
> enough to make up for my lower income. Unfortunately politicians seem to
> serve as a barrier to entry to investors - you really need to own one to
> make a sure profit.

There are enough unemployed people in China to replace every worker in the
US and Canada, with people to spare. And you're fooling yourself if you
think it's not happening.

> Of course all of this explains why Canada is doing pretty well right now
> - why go to India to pay someone ~ $10,000 a year when you can go to
> Nova Scotia?

Is anyone headed for anywhere near the delta-income that the US is headed
for? I don't think so. Jobs are leaving and heading for places with 25% of
the wage. You can't live on that in the US, you cant even get basic food and
shelter for that. Without some serious deflation in food and housing, and
soon, things are going to be problematic.

- Adam L. Beberg - beberg@mithral.com
  http://www.mithral.com/~beberg/