Fwd: [BATN] Bay Area gas at record high; experts cite ethanol

Elias Sinderson fork@xent.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:09:43 -0800

Joseph S Barrera III wrote:

> Adam L. Beberg wrote:
>
>> <AB> [...] I have never worked with a female on any of my day jobs.
>> Never. Sure a secretary or whatever
>> the PC term for that is now, but you can't really count those.
>
> <JB> Wow, adam, you sure know how to pick your jobs. My officemate
> (Nina) is female, as is the QA person assigned to my part of the
> product (Ping) [...]

<ES> Whereas women are statistically underrepresented in the field of
informatics, my experiences have not belayed that fact at all. Granted,
however, I haven't made the rounds at 2^n dot coms as some people in the
Bay Area have. Everywhere I've worked has had a fairly even male/female
split, to say nothing of the international flavor of the groups I've
been a part of. Currently I'm working on a team of eleven that has five
highly competent women engineers, and one of the two team leads is also
a woman. To be honest, I think I'd somehow find it a bit odd working in
an environment that was otherwise. . .

<ES> As for who you count or not, it takes a lot of diferent people to
make a company work and one shouldn't discount the difficulty or amount
of work done by admins to keep the show on. If you've been lead to
believe that it's easy then it's likely because you've been exposed to
talented people who make it appear that way. Unfortunately their pay
scale doesn't begin to reflect the benefits they can bring to an
organization. Most people won't truely appreciate this fact until
they've had the experience of working with both good and bad assistants.

Elias