chicks & computers [was: [BATN] Bay Area gas at record high; experts cite ethanol]

Joseph S Barrera III joe@barrera.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 14:42:53 -0800

James Rogers wrote:
> A person's experience with the IT gender balance can vary a lot depending on
> the type of IT organization they work within.  If you are doing a lot of
> theoretical work, technical R&D, or hardcore engineering in general,
> qualified women are almost nowhere to be found.  If you work in a corporate
> IS/IT department (i.e. the kind with a help desk somewhere and lots of
> admins), then there is no shortage of qualified women working there.

For the record. I spent 7 years in grad school at Carnegie Mellon,
another 7 at Microsoft, and about 4 since then in various startups,
and thoughout I've worked with excellent women systems researchers
and engineers. Hell, when I was at the Microsoft San Francisco
Research lab, there were only 7 people there, only one female, yet
she was was of the very best systems people I know.

So I can only conclude that you, along with Adam, simply repel
qualified women away from you before you're even aware of them.

- Joe