Fwd: [BATN] Bay Area gas at record high; experts cite ethanol

owen@permafrost.net owen@permafrost.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:33:44 -0400

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 11:31:05AM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:

> Owen Byrne said:
> > Adam L. Beberg wrote:
> > >On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 owen@permafrost.net wrote:
> > >Females? WHERE?!? In all seriousness I have never worked with a female on
> > >any of my day jobs. Never. Sure a secretary or whatever the PC term for that
> > >is now, but you can't really count those.
> > >
> > Again - step away from the epicenter, down in status and suddenly
> > they're everywhere - insurance companies and
> > banks especially are full of women working with 4GLs and screen painters
> > and stuff. maybe its not programming
> > to me and you - but its still IT work. And when it comes time for
> > promotion - well they have communication skills,
> > while you were hired to be the "nerd."
>
> FWIW, I've worked with quite a few female "core geeks" in the past...
> and not just on "4GLs and screen painting", instead Java, C++, C etc.
>
> --j.
I was just propogating a theory of one of my co-workers - a woman, btw, that
the lower-skill (and lower pay) levels of IT work was dominated by women,
and that if and when pay starts to slide, it will become an even more
female-dominated occupation.

Owen