Briefing on depleted uranium as used by US military.

Eirikur Hallgrimsson eh@mad.scientist.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:16:44 -0500

http://bbsnews.net/bw2003-03-14b.html

This seems like an unusually direct and detailed disclosure.
It's the defensive spin, of course, but they go into what would be required
to show there is a problem.    This increased my respect for the US
military.   I'd sure hate to find out that it's all spin.

Eirikur

-------

MODERATOR: Thank you for attending this afternoon. Today's briefing is on
depleted uranium. Depleted uranium is something that I think we have not
done a good enough job in making sure that everybody understands what
depleted uranium is and what it isn't. And as we go forward, and if there
is a conflict in Iraq, I think it's important for everybody to have a good
understanding of depleted uranium, because there is an awful lot of
misinformation out there about depleted uranium.

To help us do that today we have two briefers. We have Army Colonel James
Naughton from the U.S. Army Materiel Command and he'll talk about depleted
uranium as a weapon and as an armor plating. And also with us today is Dr.
Michael Kilpatrick, who is of the Deployment Health Support Directorate,
and he will be here to talk to you about the health effects of depleted
uranium. We have probably about 30 minutes or so, but we will try to get
all your questions answered. So let's go ahead and get started.