Hey, Adam! Look! They're going to dumb down Java! Bet you didn't think that was possible!

Bill Stoddard bill@wstoddard.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 13:57:22 -0500

Joseph S Barrera III wrote:
> Sun Brewing Simpler Java
>
> [ Actually, the title is misleading. Looks like they're not
>   writing a simpler subset of Java, but rather just developing
>   a VB-like interface for programming in it. ]
>
> "In a move designed to attract more developers to its vision of Web
> services and application development, Sun Microsystems Inc. is
> developing enhancements to the Java language that provide a more
> Visual Basic-like experience.
>
> "The goal will crystallize in June at the company's JavaOne conference
> with the likely announcement of a Java-based tool that competes with
> Microsoft Corp.'s Visual Basic. The goal is to make it easier for
> developers to create applications and add business processes with
> Java, Sun officials in Santa Clara, Calif., said."

Might be interesting to see what Sun comes up with. Will it be Java with
a VB syntax (of questionable value since I would guess that the
resulting language will not really behave like native VB) or will they
go all the way and replicate the VB object model, semantic bahaviour and
all, on top of Java?

Bill