This Is The Way The World Ends

Dr. Robert Harley harley@argote.ch
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 23:41:11 +0100 (CET)

> > - FLASHPOINT #2:  At some point Iraq launches a missile attack,
> > perhaps with chemical or biological weapons, on Israel.
> Would Israel be able to survive, as a functional nation state, after
> such an attack?
> [...]
> If there's a launch against Israel, and it's not intercepted, Israel is
> removed from play altogether.

Naah.  IIRC, in the Gulf War, Iraq launched 39 Scuds at Israel and
managed to cause a grand total of... 2 (two) casualties.  And they
have a lot less now than they did then, mainly due to destruction by
U.N. teams in the 90's.  They aren't being attacked now because of
lots of terrible weapons, but because they have so little.  If they
had serious WMDs like nukes, Saddam would be sitting pretty and there
would be no war.  I guess the take home lesson for every other country
on the planet is that the U.S. will attack you if they feel like it,
unless you get the bomb ASAP.