Re[2]: This Is The Way The World Ends (Scenario Planning)

bitbitch@magnesium.net bitbitch@magnesium.net
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:07:50 -0500

Re: The Turkish bits only.

I don't admit to speak for Turkey, but here's some relevance.

First, they're insanely apprehensive about the Kurds. Especially a
Turkish State.
http://www.arabicnews.com/ansub/Daily/Day/990128/1999012824.html
http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/turkey_background_kurds.htm

Second, at least some news reports have let on to the fact that if the
Turkish agree to military occupation by our troops, we'll sorta let
them march on in to Northern Iraq, to quell the uprising:
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/03/kurds_protest030303

Third, if Northern Iraq has oil, you can bet they'll want a part of
it.
http://www.theage.com.au/handheld/articles/2003/03/15/1047583739717.htm

Fourth, the Turks have a history of doing this.  Repeatedly.  Without
admitting to it.

http://www.gomidas.org/forum/af4kurds.htm (This is a seminar -- but it
explains both Genocides quite nicely).

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:Hf-HQMJnguoC:kurdistan.org/Speeches/kaya.html+%22History%22+%22Turkey%22+%22genocide%22+%22Kurds%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:3z7KAKSIQJoC:www.diaspora-net.org/ucla/PalloneUCLA.htm+%22History%22+%22Turkey%22+%22genocide%22+%22Kurds%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Fifth, the Turks have a history of denying it.  Getting angry, and
generally, not facing up to their responsibilities -- Why ? Because
too many freaking people think they're our good buddies.

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:XPJv7HTeiDgC:mondediplo.com/2001/09/11armenian+%22History%22+%22Turkey%22+%22genocide%22&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I get so sick of the general misunderstanding that seems to come over
people in general when it comes to Turkey.  This isn't directed at you
specifically, James, but just the general disregard to look back a few
years and figure out what was going on.  Kurdish examples are even
more recent -- going as far as the early 1990s.   The fact that we're
just uniformly putting our heads in the sand about a country which
IMHO, is as bad as the folks in Al'Qaeda, is just insulting to
history, and to the millions of people who lived through the repeated
crap that Turkey has unleashed on its 'enemies'.

I'm willing to wager, that after we do the big payout, do this war,
and move on, we're going to have a force in the region that is yet
another militarily armed nightmare to contend with.

The idea that TUrkey will just 'stay out' seems laughable to me.

-BB

--
Best regards,
 bitbitch                            mailto:bitbitch@magnesium.net