My Big Fat French Weekend

Jeff Bone jbone@deepfile.com
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:52:55 -0600

(Listening to yet another anti-French screed on AM radio, grr...)

So this coming weekend, I'm going to stage a little two-person
anti-anti-French protest of sorts.  I'm going take my girlfriend eat at
Chez Nous here in Austin.  I'm going to borrow my buddy's Citroen to
drive us there in Francophile style.  I'm going to get dressed to the
nines in a nice French silk shirt.  (Might have to wear Italian
shoes...)  I'm going to get tanked on Coudelet de' Beaucastel then load
up on salad Lyonnaise, boeuf bourguignonne, pommes dauphine, and creme
brulee, some expensive champagne.  Then we're going rent Jean de
Flourette and a few other French classics, go home and watch 'em.  Then
we're gonna do some "freedom kissin'".

I for one admire Chirac for standing on his principles on this one.
Being a friend and ally doesn't mean you've got to agree to everything
--- particularly when it's as ridiculous as the case we made for this
conflict.  All this anti-French crap --- I swear, I think the O'Reilly
Factor crowd is more steamed at France than at the Ba'aths in Iraq ---
is just completely childish nonsense.

I wish somebody would file a class-action suit against every
Congressman involved in the whole "freedom fries" debacle for wasting
our time and money.  And somebody should give Tina Fey a gold medal for
penning the whole "in other news, in France American cheese is now
referred to as 'idiot cheese'" line for SNL last weekend.

jb