Optimistic Scenario

Owen Byrne owen@permafrost.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:23:55 -0400

johnhall wrote:

>>From: fork-admin@xent.com [mailto:fork-admin@xent.com] On Behalf Of
>>

>Jeff
>

>>Bone
>>
>>France?  Even if they offer to help, I doubt we'd let them.  I
>>

>actually
>

>>think more Americans are more pissed off at the French than they are
>>Saddam.
>>

>One quote from an 'unnamed American official' said that France would
>have to *fight* to get into this one.
>
>I'd add: unless they were volunteering to be targets.
>
>With an ally like France, who needs enemies?

I'm sure there will be a few more Saddams in the world for you guys in a
bit - they're your favoured
allies in general anyway. After all the US goal is clear - 235 military
dictatorships (but compliant military
dictatorships) and 1 so-called democracy.
Bulgaria and Romania look more your speed - they were nice and compliant
under both the USSR and the Nazis.

>My optimistic scenario is that we declare, regretfully, that the UN
>Security Council has rendered itself useless.  [Only after Iraq fighting
>has stopped.]  Obviously the US will still show up for the debating
>society, since we owe the World our opinions.  But we must regretfully
>insist that until reforms are made to make the council relevant we must
>veto all resolutions even if we agree with them.
>

>We are of course willing to enter extended diplomatic discussions about
>how to make the UN Security Council relevant again.  We are willing to
>give those discussions the same amount of time and good faith diplomacy
>that France waged in support of Saddam.  Namely, those discussions could
>take months, years, maybe decades.

My optimistic scenario - and I think its already begun - is the world
will say "No thanks."

>But if France permanently surrenders their veto we might shorten those
>negotiations a bit.

Just to make sure the rest of the world gets the message. No democracy
for you! Next time you will take the bribes.

Owen