Fork FoRK, creating SPoRK?

Jim Whitehead ejw@cse.ucsc.edu
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:07:26 -0800

Is there anyone else on the list who might be interested in turning FoRK
into two different lists?

While the core definition of FoRK was never very precise, it originally was
more technology focused. Much list discussion now is focused on broad
society and policy issues (SPoRK). I'm not going to make value judgements on
these categories -- discussion in both is fun and interesting, and I've
participated in both.

At least over the past year or so, there has been a greater volume of SPoRK
mail than "classic" FoRK mail. I think it would be valuable to split FoRK
into FoRK and SPoRK, keeping the membership of both lists the same. People
who like FoRK as it is right now, just filter all SPoRK mail into the
existing FoRK folder, and it'll look much the same. People who want to pay
attention to SPoRK over FoRK, or vice-versa, can make multiple folders, and
give them varying attentional resources.

Is there any other support for this, or am I just on crack?

- Jim

PS - Yes, I realize this will start discussion that is undoubtedly just
another classic phase in the evolution of mailing lists. Tough noogies.